Sail Training Program
This year, we have worked hard to provide our WSC sailors with a comprehensive sail training program. This has included:
- Class Strategy Session with Lawrence Lemieux (April 8 – great success);
- ASA Workshop May 20-22;
- August 15-18 training session, before Canadian Laser Masters;
- Sail week – sail training by Barry Tee; and,
- 5 Saturday training sessions.
The five Saturday training sessions will be coached by either Krzysztof Machnowski or Lauri Kalkkinen (ASA coach). Krzysztof was an international level sailor and coach. Lauri coached in Geneva, Switzerland (Société Nautique de Genève) and is a Swiss Army Veteran.
The morning class will be Blue Fleet and the afternoon class will be Green Fleet.
The 2017 Saturday training dates are as follows:
- June 17;
- June 24;
- July 29;
- August 26; and,
- September 9.
WSC can offer the following pricing:
- 4-5 classes – $25 per class;
- 2-3 classes – $30 per class; and,
- 1 class – $35.
Before May 22, 2016, please register and pay online at:
We cannot proceed unless payments are made in advance.
For those who are uncertain into which training fleet they belong, the WSC sail training levels are as follows:
- Balance in sail boat.
- Effectively execute different points of sail:
- Identify wind angles;
- Trim sail and other boat adjustments to maximise lift (e.g. Close haul, beam reach, broad reach);
- Feel comfortable in boat:
- never over-heeled;
- Identify gusts;
- read approaching wind on water
- Manoeuvre boats to avoid slow down (e.g. release main sheet and sail adjustments)
- Basic technique of sailing manoeuvres.
- Understand basic racing rules.
- Proper technique of sailing manoeuvres;
- Understand racing rules;
- Develop strategies and tactics;
- Think ahead concerning wind and boat encounters
- Proper decision making during races.